Thursday, May 24, 2007

Practicing What We Preach

Later today during an enrollment meeting I will without question be approached by a morbidly obese employee inquring about bariatric surgery. It happens every time I visit this company.
In fact it happens today at a lot of company's. My experience in speaking with employees about wellness shows they are interested in avoiding illness but many have simply not made the connection between their behavior and its inherent risks aside from smoking. So when I explain that 70% of health care costs are linked directly to lifestyle choices--what we eat, how much exercise we get, or do not get--I will observe lightbulbs going off in the room.

Personally I am down 23 lbs for the year and have a ways to go on my own goal. My hope is to be able to deliver my wellness message with a before and after picture that encourages behavioral change.

The Cenek Report has an interesting post today on obesity and wellness.

No comments: